Sunday, September 28, 2025

Week 4

Educational Goals

My primary educational goal is to do well in all of my classes in the CS program. By maintaining strong performance throughout my coursework, I will build a solid academic foundation that prepares me to apply for a master’s program. I envision myself staying consistent with assignments, projects, and exams so that by the time I graduate, I will be a competitive candidate for advanced study. This goal excites me because I know that the effort I put in now directly supports the opportunities I’ll have later.

Career Goals

My career goal is to pursue and complete a Master’s in Computer Science from Georgia Tech’s Online Program with a specialization in Machine Learning. I can clearly picture myself gaining the advanced knowledge and practical skills that will allow me to work in cutting-edge fields that apply AI and machine learning. This goal excites me because it represents both academic achievement and a major step toward career advancement. It’s simple enough to remember, but ambitious enough to drive my motivation every day.

ETS Computer Science Test 

After reviewing the ETS Computer Science test description and sample questions, I feel both challenged and motivated. Right now, many of the advanced concepts seem difficult, but I know that with 18 months of coursework, consistent study, and practice, I will be much better prepared. If I had to take a wild guess, I would place myself around the 60th percentile. I choose this number because it reflects that I’ll likely be stronger than average by then, but I also know the test is rigorous and highly competitive. With steady preparation, I believe I could push that score even higher.

Industry Expert Interview

Introduction

For this assignment, I interviewed Ryan, a seasoned software engineer and engineering leader with over twenty years of experience in the tech industry. I had the privilege of working with Ryan during my time at --redacted--, where we were part of the same team before the company underwent widespread layoffs. I chose Ryan for this interview because of his extensive background across startups, large-scale companies, and leadership positions. His ability to adapt to evolving technologies, mentor others, and successfully navigate career transitions made him an ideal person to learn from as I continue shaping my own career path.

Ryan’s career includes experience in five different startups, leadership roles at Company X and Company Y, and nearly eight years as a Senior Software Engineer at --redacted--. Currently, he works as a Senior Software Engineer at Company Z, a fully remote organization focused on workflow automation. His technical expertise spans AWS, GCP, Python, React, and other modern web technologies, but what stands out most is his ability to grow alongside the industry while helping others succeed.

Summary of Key Takeaways

Ryan began by sharing his career journey, explaining how his early roles in higher education technology and system architecture allowed him to build a foundation in web applications and infrastructure. He emphasized that his career has been less about following a rigid plan and more about staying open to opportunities and challenges as they arose. This openness to change led him through both startup and corporate environments, giving him a broad perspective on the industry.

One of the biggest challenges he described was balancing speed and quality in fast-paced startup environments. Startups often required him to wear multiple hats and deliver under tight deadlines, while larger organizations demanded deeper specialization and collaboration across teams. He explained that these contrasting environments helped him become adaptable — a skill he considers essential for any engineer today.

When asked about industry trends, Ryan highlighted the rapid rise of AI and automation tools. He noted that companies are looking not only at how AI can streamline workflows but also at how engineers can best integrate these tools responsibly. For instance, Ryan has seen the shift from purely writing code to optimizing workflows with AI-driven solutions, particularly in his current role at Company Z. He believes this trend will only grow and that engineers who can both code and leverage AI tools will be in high demand.

In terms of skills for success, Ryan emphasized problem-solving, curiosity, and the ability to communicate clearly with both technical and non-technical stakeholders. While technical expertise is important, he believes what sets great engineers apart is the ability to learn quickly and to help others grow. He mentioned that during his leadership roles, he discovered how much he valued mentoring and creating an environment where people could do their best work.

Finally, Ryan offered career advice for students entering the tech industry:

  1. Don’t worry about knowing everything up front — focus on becoming a great problem solver.

  2. Stay flexible and open to change, because technology shifts quickly.

  3. Build relationships and learn from others — mentorship and teamwork often matter as much as technical skill.

Reflection

This conversation with Ryan gave me a clearer picture of how varied a career in software engineering can be. Hearing how he navigated between startups, leadership roles, and larger companies reassured me that career paths don’t need to follow a single straight line. His emphasis on adaptability resonated with me, especially because I am entering an industry that continues to evolve rapidly with AI, cloud computing, and automation.

I also reflected on my own experience working alongside Ryan at --redacted--. At the time, I mostly saw him as a knowledgeable senior engineer, but through this interview I gained a deeper appreciation for the years of learning, trial, and leadership behind that expertise. What stood out most to me was how Ryan viewed mentoring as a core part of his work. It reminded me that being successful in technology isn’t only about writing code — it’s also about supporting teammates and contributing to a healthy engineering culture.

Future Steps

From this interview, I’ve identified several concrete actions for my own professional development:

  1. Strengthen adaptability: I plan to stay engaged with emerging technologies like AI tools and cloud platforms, ensuring I remain flexible in my skillset.

  2. Practice mentorship and collaboration: Even as a student and early-career engineer, I want to practice explaining concepts clearly and helping peers whenever possible.

  3. Prioritize problem-solving skills: Rather than focusing on learning every framework or language, I will continue developing my ability to break down problems and approach them logically.

  4. Network intentionally: Reconnecting with Ryan reminded me of the importance of maintaining professional connections. I plan to continue building my network and seeking mentorship opportunities.

This interview not only gave me insights into the industry but also provided reassurance that the skills I am building — both technical and interpersonal — will serve me well. Ryan’s story reminded me that careers in technology are not about rigid paths but about continual growth, adaptability, and collaboration.

Reflecting on the Week

This week gave me the chance to reflect on both my past experiences and the direction I want to take my learning. I reconnected with an old co-worker, Ryan, who was an incredible resource when I was developing my skills as a full-stack engineer. Back then, he not only offered technical guidance but also modeled the importance of patience and mentorship in a fast-paced environment. Talking with him again reminded me how valuable it is to have strong professional connections, and it felt encouraging to know that people I’ve worked with in the past are still willing to support me in my growth. Having him participate as my interviewee for the interview project made the experience even more meaningful, because I could see how much my perspective has evolved since we last worked together.

I also made progress on my ethics outline. I chose to focus on the ethics of using AI in elementary schools, a topic that feels especially relevant as technology becomes more deeply integrated into education. On one hand, I believe AI has the potential to alleviate many of the stresses teachers face, particularly with administrative tasks, grading, and even personalized learning support. On the other hand, I’m aware of the issues surrounding student privacy, data security, and the need to balance technology with human interaction. Working on this outline has shown me that ethical discussions are rarely black and white; they require weighing benefits against risks and considering the long-term implications of innovation.

Altogether, this week reminded me that growth comes from both looking back and planning ahead. Reconnecting with Ryan highlighted the importance of mentorship and networking, while starting my ethics outline pushed me to think critically about how the tools we build and use in technology impact society. Both experiences tied back to my larger educational and career goals: becoming not just technically skilled, but also thoughtful about the role I play in shaping the future of technology.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. This layout is wonderful. After looking at a few journals, I need a makeover. It almost seems as though you've practiced setting goals pretty regularly to have such a seemingly clear direction. Very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your goals are really well thought out and focused. I really like how you're planning ahead for grad school and connecting your current studies to your future in machine learning. You are the second person I see that plans to attend Georgia Tech's online program more specifically specializing in machine learning. Which is goal I have as well but to specialize in computing systems. Staying consistent with your coursework will definitely set you up for success at Georgia Tech and moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem very passionate about pursuing your career by planning to pursue a Master's degree. That is very motivating. I do not plan to go to graduate school but it is nice to know that if I change my mind, that is an option. There are so many fields of technology and I am glad you found the career you want to pursue.

    ReplyDelete

CST 338 Final Learning Journal

     It feels like this semester just started, yet looking back now, I can clearly see how far I’ve come since HW1. Revisiting my Hangman as...